Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Another email

This is the email sent to me by Michael Hodge concerning the resignation. To me, this clearly identifies the problem with VATSIM. Here's my understanding of the issue, very directly. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. There is a small handful of people on the EC/BoG who are committed to doing a good job. There is a larger handful of completely ineffective "leaders" who have no interest in anything other than self-serving interests. Who are those people? Well, I'm not quite ready to out them, yet, (Rolland Collins) and I just don't think it would be polite to name names (Norman Blackburn). Somewhere along the line, there was no "safety valve" built into the system which allows for the removal of incompetent, inactive, or self-serving people to be removed from the BoG. There is a process, but it is, like every other process in VATSIM a pain in the ass process.

Here's another thought, and since the timing is fitting: If you applied for the VATUSA1 Director position; You're either a fool, or, are a re-run director, which makes you a BIGGER fool. If you're looking to really make a difference, and lead a group of people, you're barking up the wrong tree. If you're a self-serving, ass kissing, good ol boy, you're going to fit right in, but leave with most of those relationships broken or fractured, and frustrated all over again. This email will show you that you're going to be under-cut at every decision. If you're a re-run director, and in with the fellows up top, you're going to last a short amount of time because you're not friends with EVERYBODY on the BoG, and you're going to be stifled at every turn, as well. Those who you are friends with, are going to be left shrugging their shoulders saying, "we tried...and such" but still on the BoG and you're still trying to kiss their asses.

So, without further ado....

Bo,

I am sending this to you simply to clear my name. Despite what some may think, I wanted nothing more than to better the training process within the VATUSA division during my nine month tenure as the VATUSA Training Services Administrator. A feat which I think it is safe to say that I was able to do, at least in some regards.

-Mike


Forwarded conversation
Subject: Resignation
------------------------

From: Michael D. Hodge Jr
Date: Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM
To: b.wollenberg


Bryan,

I would like to let you formally know that as of the time of this e-mail, I have resigned as VATUSA Training Services Administrator. I have no problem orienting the new guy when he is selected if need be.

Thanks,

Michael D. Hodge Jr

----------
From: Bryan Wollenberg
Date: Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 12:33 AM
To: vatusa3


Michael,

Allow me thank you for your service and for the amazing work you did as USA3!! I can assure you that you have been the hardest-working guy in the position in a very long time, you worked with your guys from the ARTCCs, and the results of that work are obvious. I have gotten nothing but praise from all sorts of people (including ZLA, who can be a tough crowd to please), and not a single complaint.

So thanks a bunch Mike! I really do appreciate your efforts.

Bryan




----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael D. Hodge Jr"
To: b.wollenberg
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 6:47 PM
Subject: Resignation

----------
From: Michael D. Hodge Jr
Date: Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM
To: Bryan Wollenberg

Bryan,

Thanks for kind words Bryan, for they do mean a lot. However, I'm afraid that you simply don't get it. I want you to think of the reasons why we stepped down, and then look at any possible ways of fixing it. If you need any help with that, i'm here to be of assistance.

-Mike

----------
From: Bryan Wollenberg
Date: Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 12:51 AM
To:


Hi Mike,

I definitely do get it. Unfortunately, some of the things going on are well beyond my paygrade, and there is nothing I can do to fix them. I know why you and Andrew stepped down, and I can't say I disagree with the reasoning at all. It is what it is. I find myself regularly frustrated by some of the things that go on. But just as you guys are told things by me, I am told by the BOG how things are to be done. There isn't much to be done about that.

To: "Bryan Wollenberg"
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: Resignation

----------
From: Michael D. Hodge Jr
Date: Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:05 AM
To: Bryan Wollenberg


Bryan,

All I ask, and i'll leave you with this, is two things. First, please remember that perception is everything. It's all about how your perceived by the people above and below you. One should not only try to ensure their perception is positive above their pay grade, but also below. Do you think Andrew knew that his head was on the chopping block when he sent that letter to you about refusing certain aspects of the GRP? Yes of course he knew, but he also knew that by him doing so, he was sticking up for the rights and beliefs of those below him. That single move did a lot more to improve his relations with the ATM's of the division then anything else he did. Not because he put is foot down to the BOG/EC, but because they perceived him as sticking up for what they felt collectively was right (regardless of how "right" that really was).

Secondly, we are all given our positions because someone above us felt like we could do it, and do it well. I always had the philosophy of, "allow me the room and space to do my job, and let me make my mistakes". Alex, Andrew, Rob, and any other "supervisor" over me knew that and respected that. In return I gave them 1000% of my life to doing the job to the extent it needed to be done. If there was ever a point in which I felt like they weren't allowing me the space I needed (within reason) then the choice is simple: bow out gracefully. I'm not saying that is what happened tonight, but more and more it appears as though the EC/BOG are on a "power grab" and that this higher than though mentality exists. It appears more and more as though people aren't being able to do their jobs the way they feel they should be done and instead are micromanaged. Although it isn't affecting me yet, I don't even want to allow it the opportunity. As stated in the first point, it's all about perception. So you, as we all must, ask ourselves, "How am 'I' perceived?"

-Mike

5 comments:

  1. Gentlemen, let's not forget the removal of a Supervisor from his position because he filed a valid complaint against Norman. You can always count on the good ole boy club to band together and protect their own. The corruption runs deep in VATSIM, yet they continue to bark orders from their mothers' basements.

    Upon receiving the complaint, Dave sent the following statement to the BoG in order to cover up the removal of the SUP and make it look like it was the board's decision. Excellent leadership Capta... I mean Commander.
    ----------------

    I would appreciate any comments/suggestions for improving this email before I send it (I won’t send it until I get home tonight).



    BT BT



    At this point I think things have gone on long enough. Michael – has ---- responded to your hints about resigning as a supervisor? It is clearly not in the interests of the network that ---- continue on as a staff member in any capacity, let alone a network supervisor where he has access to CERT given his past actions utilizing CERT. I understand that you need to keep good relations with your supervisors, but at this point he needs to go. If it will make it easier, I will call a vote of the BOG on the matter of firing ---- as network supervisor so you can tell him the BOG made the decision. For Terry (and anyone else who may be NORDO in the next day or so), please send me your proxy votes (or post them to this list) so that we will not delay a vote result pending your votes….

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone got money on the next VATUSA1 coming from ZLA ARTCC? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian's not pulling these strings. The BoG, however, is. Brian's a patsy, being undermined by the BoG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back when I actually cared about the operation of VATSIM and VATUSA, I'd be truly concerned about who the next director is.

    Now... I just put $20 down in a pool that the new one won't last the remainder of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did the Regional Director just Threaten to take Bo's right to post in the public forums away? Seriously. That is a great example of leadership. "We have a goal of being constructive" (read this as post as long as you don't disagree with me, once you notice that I disagree with you you should cease all further posting on this topic).

    ReplyDelete